I don't know about you but my kids love anything miniature. I am not much of a baker and fondant is certainly out of my realm. This is a quick and easy way to make "fake" petit fours for your kiddos. These are great to take to school for a birthday or to make for a fancy tea party with your favorite little princess.
You will need:
- 1 Angel food cake (look for the rectangular one not round- its easier to cut into small cubes)
- Food coloring
- White icing
- Starburst candies
- Small decorative cutters (all I had on hand was circles, but you can find little flowers, etc.)
- Cut rectangular cake into 1 1/2 inch thick slices. Then cut each slice into four to make 4 small rectangular mini cakes.
- Arrange mini cakes on a cooling rack that has been placed inside a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Add desired amount of food coloring to white icing (I used 3 drops of red to make pink). Stir well and microwave for 15 seconds. Stir again and microwave again for another 10-15 seconds. You want icing to be very thin and runny otherwise it will not pour easily.
- Slowly and carefully pour icing over angel food cakes. Go slowly and make sure to pour around edges to cover sides well. If your icing gets too thick stop and microwave again. Repeat until all cakes are covered. Place cakes in fridge for 10-15 minutes to set icing.
- Microwave individual Starburst candies (without wrapper people) for 8 seconds. Using your palm, press candy into thin layer on counter top. You may use some non-stick cooking spray if you find it too sticky. Then use the small cutter to cut out a shape and place on top of cake to decorate. Use your imagination and have some fun!