Ahhhh, it's summer and our Farmer's Market is full of eggplants and tomatoes. My mom used to make this recipe and I have been making it for a few years now. It's super easy and healthy so I love it, but I have to admit I still can't get the kids to try it out. Here's to hoping!
You will need:
- 1 large eggplant peeled (I use a vegetable peeler) and sliced super thin
- 4-5 tomatoes peeled and sliced
- Sliced mozzarella (not fresh just the kind for sandwiches)
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dry basil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray square baking dish.
2. Make a thin layer of eggplant to line the bottom of the dish, top with sliced tomatoes.
3. Season with salt, pepper, parm, and sprinkle with garlic powder and dry basil.
4. Top eggplant and seasoned tomatoes with one layer of mozzarella.
5. Repeat layering eggplant, tomatoes, salt, pepper, parm, garlic powder, dry basil, and mozzarella until you reach the top of the dish. Make sure to finish with mozzarella on top. It usually takes me 4 layers.
6. Bake uncovered 35-35 minutes until top is melted and golden. Carefully pour off excess water when baking is finished.
7. Let stand and cool at least 5 minutes before cutting in squares to serve. Enjoy!