I am famous for this sandwich! Everyone I have ever made it for has a fit and wants the recipe. It is super simple and beyond delicious. My husband is a total man's man meat-eater and he begs for these- that's really saying something!
You will need:
- Heirloom tomatoes (or really good tomatoes- they are the main ingredient so they have to be GOOD)
- Bread- You need to slice it yourself and it needs to be good bread
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh mozzarella
- Slice bread 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Spray or brush olive oil on both sides. Grill on grill pan over medium heat until it is toasty and golden on both sides. (This step is simple, but really makes all the difference. No toasting bread in the toaster.)
- In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup mayo with 1 tsp garlic (I use pre-minced in the jar for a shortcut), salt, pepper, and 8-10 leaves fresh basil chopped. Spread liberally on both slices of grilled bread.
- Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick, season with coarse salt and pepper, and put on sandwich. Top with thickly sliced fresh mozzarella and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I also add arugula if I have it on hand.
- Top with second slice of bread, cut in half, and inhale!